Monday 12 January 2015

Art Battle Canada brushes up the city

The winter months in Ontario can really put a damper on our spirits and respective social lives. It is sometimes tough to become motivated to go out in the blustery cold or tread through the feet of snow. Trendy heels turn to clunky boots, extra layers and more overall planning is needed to execute a successful night on the town! In a city that is often referred to as "retirement geared", it can sometimes take a bit of creativity to find new and exciting things to do. 

That's why, when I received a Facebook invite to attend an upcoming "Art Battle" being held at the St. Lawrence  College Art Gallery, I was very excited! Wait, what's an "Art Battle"? I had never been too, or even heard of this type of event (although I do consider myself a fan of the arts and supporter of the local artistic community). 

I knew I  had some research to do, so I checked out Art Battle Canada , where I learned the event is live competitive painting. Painters create the best work they can across three rounds of public painting. The audience then vote for the winners of each round, and the single winner of each event. A National Championship is held at the end of each season, with competitors representing cities across Canada. As it turns out- this was a big thing- and it was coming to our city of Brockville! 


When I arrived- loyal friend and media junkie Jan Murray in tow- this is what was set up. Immediately I felt like I was in another city. This was so forward thinking and fresh. Not that I don't love Brockville, I do- that's why I choose to live here and tirelessly promote it- but this was something I wouldn't have expected. Quickly, the Marianne van Silfhout Gallery filled up with eager patrons. I had introduced myself to the social media correspondent who was covering the event with a live tweet session- which as you know, I love!  Music started to play, a spirits bar was set up and people were connecting- I was completely in my element. 


The event organizer- Jesse McMahon did an incredible job with the Art Battle. She tapped into the artistic community and brought something to our city that was exhilarating and new. Jesse brought together artists and those who appreciate their work, of all ages and walks of life. We have an abundance of incredibly talented artists in our community and surrounding area. Whether they are painters, writers, sculptors, musicians- supporting their work is incredibly important. Having a vibrant artistic community benefits our residents, economy, tourism efforts and overall quality of life! 



 If you missed the first Art Battle Canada, fear not- there is another one set to take place on February 20th, which will also be held at the gallery. Tickets are selling fast- whether you are an art lover or just looking for a fun night out, make sure you go and see this incredible initiative! 

1 comment: