Sunday 4 January 2015

2014- a year in review!


With 2014 having come to a close and the new year freshly upon us, I have found myself reflecting on the year gone by. With my last blog entry in October (and a short one at that!) I admit, it has been a busy one. Although I enjoyed the last year, I already feel this year is a time for bigger goals, personal growth and change. There were many great events that we attended, organized and also some quiet family moments in 2014 and below is just a small snippet.

This past summer,  I organized and held a motorcycle show in benefit of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Brockville General Hospital. It was well received in the community, raised just under $1000 and shows signs of growing in the years to come. The local motorcycle community was a huge help and I look forward to working with them again this year, to broaden the event and make it an even bigger success!



 Our family also enjoyed a beautiful summer in the 1000 Islands, packed with picnics, trips to parks and many bike rides along the Brock Trail. Our city is stunning all year round but truly shines during the summer months. There is never a lack of parks to frequent or active ways to enjoy family time. 



Late summer also saw my fiance, Nick declare his run for Brockville City Council. He was unsuccessful in winning a seat this term but remains positive and ambitious for the next election. For a first run, it was exciting and a learning experience for our entire family. We had wonderful support from our local politicians, family and friends and can only see a successful future.  



Fall in the 1000 Islands is also a beautiful time of year. Although we do many hikes along the 1000 Islands Parkway, Mac Johnston Conservation area and Limerick Forest, we like to to travel to the Gatineau Hills and take in the breathtaking views. The hills offer a change in scenery and a more vigorous hiking challenge.




As always, we try to show our community support when we can. This year, we attended MP Gord Brown's Hockey Night in Leeds Grenville, in support of the United Way. It was a great family event - especially since our girls love hockey!




With winter wrapping up, I hosted my second annual Trees for Children fundraising event. This year we raised $2500 and expanded our list of guest speakers. We welcomed Senator Jim Munson, MP Gord Brown, MP Patrick Brown lent his support, MPP Steve Clark, MPP Lisa McLeod, Autism Advocate and parent Dee Gordon, Friends for Autism and local editor, keynote speaker and autism activist and parent, Laura Wright. The event was held at the elegant Maplehurst Manor and Carriage House and was very well attended and supported. It was a success all around and I cant wait to see what the future brings for this event. 



As I review 2014, I realized it was an incredible year for my family and I. We are fortunate to live in such a convenient and beautiful location. With only a week in with 2015, there have been some big changes personally and professionally. I already feel a shift in goals and anticipate what the year will bring. There are many great events happening in and around our community- I encourage each and every one of you to get out and get involved. Make 2015 a great year!



No comments:

Post a Comment